Wednesday, January 14, 2009

3 years ago...

3 years ago Todd and I decided that we needed to find somewhere to live when we moved away from the military and since I still had 5/6 weeks left of my pregnancy, he decided to go that weekend. Both of us has a weird feeling about him leaving, but neither of us mentioned it to the other until later...and now we know why.

Because 3 years ago, my water broke at 5 AM, 5/6 weeks early and I had no husband to take me to the hospital. I tried calling his cell phone but it went straight to his voicemail. I was terrified. I called 2 neighbors. One was more pregnant than I was (by about 2 weeks) and the other was a newlywed. The newlywed stayed with my sleeping Dallin while I called an ambulance to come and get me and take me to the hospital. I didn't think it would be a great idea to drive myself the 45 minutes it would take to get there. I called my parents, I called my friend in Tennessee...I called Todd...again. No answer.

Ambulance came. I had nothing packed. My waters kept making a mess (contrary to popular belief, it doesn't stop once it continually replenishes itself...and makes a BIG mess.) I tried to throw a few things in a backpack but I wasn't thinking straight. I had no idea what to bring. The EMT's arrived. Wonderful. I went to the back room to change my pants (again...and yes I had put a pad on but it wasn't a big help). They loaded me into the ambulance. I begged them not to turn on the lights and sirens. They laughed at me. I called Todd again.

We made it to the hospital. I was admitted quickly. They asked me if I was sure it was my water. I told them to take a look at my pants. Duh. I didn't wet myself. I called Todd again.

My mom was on her way. She had called the in-laws who were trying to reach Todd. My OB did a quick ultrasound to make sure she was head down and then they put me in a room. To wait. Alone.

at 7:20 Todd called. He was on his way. His parents had somehow gotten a hold of the family Todd was staying with, and the dad had gone driving around Alamosa to find Todd to tell him to turn his phone on because his wife was in the hospital. Hehehe...I wish I could have seen his face.

My sweet, very pregnant neighbor showed up. Bless her. She told me "I don't want you to have to do this alone, I'll wait here until Todd or your mom shows up". And she did. For 5 hours she waited with me, answered my phone while I was knocked out with nubaine. They wanted to give me Pitocin. I wouldn't let them until I got an epidural. I know what pitocin does. I didn't want to feel it.

Todd showed up at 1. Same time the drug guy did. Worst epidural ever. Mom showed up shortly after that.

And Maddie arrived at 4:30.

She was blue. And floppy. And not crying. I listened while they worked on her and then she let out a small wail. They showed her to me and took her away. I was scared.

Doctor spent an hour putting me back together. Apparently Maddie is some sort of a contortionist because she actually crowned with her FOOT by her head. Thanks for that chica.

When my epidural wore off I could visit her. She was connected to a bunch of wires. And monitors. Her skin was beat red from the heat lamp. I couldn't hold her. My heart broke. But we were lucky.

It took less time than most. Only 24 hours and she was off oxygen and 3 days after she was born we were going home.

She's been a spitfire since day 1 but I wouldn't trade her for the world. If anyone is wondering why we don't have another one already...let's just say that this is the condensed version of the story. I've had 2 kids and 2 very traumatic deliveries. I'm still trying to convince myself I CAN do it again.

SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY little Peanut. Which is what we've called you since you were born. 5 pounds and 18 inches long. No name for 3 days. So Peanut it was...and you will always be my little Peanut...Peanut Butter!! (and jelly)

Pictures's been a long day.


Jill said...

I love hearing other people's birth stories. :) Thanks for sharing, and Happy Birthday to your cute little peanut!


Wow! Good job doing most everything by yourself...for the first one. I was so clueless I don't know if I could've done it myself! Glad everything worked out well. What's the deal with your deliveries? Scary. Glad you guys had a Merry Christmas! I would've commented on some of your other cute posts, but for some reason I couldn't comment. Anyway, it's working now!

Parisi Family said...

Hey girl it has been a long time! My cell has been broken and I lost your number! I would love to chat so give me a call sometime!

the kids are soooo big now! Time goes by too fast!

eileen said...

WELL!!!! You sound about as talented as giving birth as me! :) Don't worry, I too am trying to convince myself that I can do it....I'm not succeeding, though! Perhaps you'll be better at it next time, right?

I do have to say, that was quite a scary experience, just reading it! I can't imagine what it was like to live through! But your babies are I tell myself, "The pregnancies were AWFUL and the births even worse, but that's what you have to go through to get beautiful AND smart babies!" lack of pride from this momma:) And judging from your blog, you obviously went to the same school of offspring creation that I did!!