Thursday, October 25, 2007

Adventures in Parenting

Please forgive my lack of updates. We have had the plague. Well, not REALLY the plague, but a stomach virus which, in my humble opinion, may as well be the plague. This is kind of gross, so if you are easily nauseated please skip it LOL!

It started Sunday night at 11:15 with Dallin. He got sick all over his bed, the carpet, the floor on the way to the bathroom. As I was taking care of the barfy sheets, Todd wiped up the floor outside of Dallin's room. Meanwhile, Maddie was on my bed screaming hysterically because I was nursing her and left to help Todd. She was beyond mad at me. SO I'm rushing to get the barfies in the washer and came tearing out of Dallin's room only to hit the wet floor and went skidding into the wall in front of me, breaking my toe. Oh how fun that was. I almost said a bad word. I certainly thought a bad word. It hurt so much. I fought back tears as I hopped into the other room to get a stack of towels. Things calmed down somewhat after Todd bathed Dallin and I nursed Maddie back to sleep but Dallin was up every 2 hours getting sick. Thankfully, Todd took care of the barf catching, and I just cleaned up the aftermath. By Monday morning he was doing better, but didn't want anything to eat/drink. By that night he was better...or so I thought.

Fast forward to Wednesday. We go to the park in the morning. We had been cooped up in the house for a few days. Kids played. Fun fun. We get home and Dallin says he's cold and tired. I asked him what he wanted for lunch. Mac and cheese. Fine. I make it, we sit down on the floor picnic style. Maddie eats all of hers. Dallin doesn't touch his. I asked him if he was ok. He said he didn't know. He looked at me funny, burped and threw up what I'm pretty sure was a gallon of water. Apparently he drank too much too fast and his sensitive tummy didn't appreciate it. Fun.
So I cleaned up what I could and put both kids down for a nap. I actually managed to finish one order of sewing.
Later that night Maddie was whining at me. I got her ready for bed and was nursing her on the couch when she popped off and said "hurt" pointing to her tummy. Before I knew it, she threw up all over me, the couch, the floor, the was a MESS. So I ran her to the bathroom, cleaned up again, put her in the bath, washed her up and got the barf bowl back out from under the sink.
After several more rounds of vomiting she seemed to be doing better. She woke at 1:30 begging for water. Thankfully I had some pedialite from my 3 AM trip to Wal-Mart on Monday when Dallin was sick so I gave her a few teaspoons of it. She cried for more. I gave her about a cup of it over the course of an hour, followed by two popcicles and a short nursing session. All of it stayed down and we finally got to sleep around 3 AM.
This morning, everyone seems to be doing MUCH better. Thankfully this was a fast bug. Hopefully Todd and I won't get it. We've been washing our hands to the point that they are bleeding, but hey...we are germaphobic.

Having kids is never boring. That is for sure!